Retired Ministers' Housing Society

Complaints and feedback

Find out how to make a complaint or give feedback and how the process works.

Our aim is to provide high-quality services to you and sometimes we may get it wrong. If this happens, we welcome your feedback on our services, whether positive or negative. This will help us to keep improving. We will handle your complaint as set out in our Complaints Policy.

We will actively listen to you to resolve any concerns or suggestions you may have, to make our services better. Please let us know also if we have gone the extra mile to help you.

What is an enquiry?

This is not a complaint. An enquiry seeks further information or clarification and should be directed to the member of staff responsible for that service in the first instance. An enquiry may also include a resident requesting the Society to do something for them or their home/tenancy within the Society’s agreed remit. Failure to provide or clarify this information within five working days may result in a complaint.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction or concern however made, about the RMHS’ services. If you feel that the Society has provided a poor service or failed to provide a service, you have the right to complain. The Society operates two types of complaints: informal and formal complaints.

Informal complaint

This is a complaint that can be resolved at the point of contact. It is good and fair practice to give the member of staff the opportunity to resolve a complaint at the point of contact before it is escalated. It is only when this medium fails that the person complaining can make it a formal complaint.

Formal complaint

This covers issues relating to:

  • a concern that has not been resolved informally

  • a failure to comply with policy, procedure or standard of service delivery

  • the behaviour of the RMHS’ staff or contractors

  • a decision deemed by you to be unfair

How we manage complaints

You must make your complaint within six months of the matter occurring. The Society recognises that some people who wish to make a complaint may need support to do so, perhaps because of incapacity. In that case you may choose someone to represent you, but not a lawyer. Because of data protection requirements, you must provide us with written consent to deal with your representative.

When you make a formal complaint, the General Manager will respond to you in writing within 10 working days. We will let you know beforehand if we are unable to meet this deadline.  

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint in the following ways:

In writing:


Church House

86 Tavistock Place

London WC1H 9RT

By email:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

By telephone:  

020 7520 2716 or 020 7916 8643

In person:

To any member of the RMHS staff


Your right to a review

If you remain dissatisfied after the General Manager has responded to you, you can ask for an independent review within 25 days of our response.

A panel of three RMHS Board members will review the General Manager’s response and advise you in writing within 30 calendar days. If there is going to be a delay, we will let you know.

The panel will also advise you how you can take your complaint to the Independent Housing Ombudsman if you remain dissatisfied with their response.

The Independent Housing Ombudsman
81 Aldwych

Tel: 0300 111 3000
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Visit their website for more information


The following are not included in our Complaints Policy:

  • a first request for service, information or an explanation of policies and procedures

  • services for which the RMHS is not responsible

  • if legal action has already been commenced on the same issue by you or the Society

  • complaints raised more than six months after the issue occurred

  • anonymous complaints

  • appeals against policy decisions

  • complaints relating to insurance that have been passed to the Society’s insurers and the decision is unknown

  • neighbour disputes, which fall outside the Society’s remit

  • complaints by a lawyer on your behalf

  • rents and rent levels

  • complaints by a staff member

  • complaints about the conduct of a staff member, which is dealt with separately under internal procedures  

Complaint about serious staff misconduct

If your complaint is about serious staff misconduct, such as corruption, assault or verbal abuse, please write to or contact the General Manager separately.

This will be dealt with in accordance with our internal staff disciplinary procedures.